Hey Beauties! Let’s talk HAIR! Being a cosmetologist I, too often, get clients in my chair telling me they hate their hair and ask me how they can help and/or prevent hair loss, hair thinning, damage, breakage, oily hair, dry hair, help in growing their hair longer, getting thicker hair, managing course or curly hair, having healthier hair and achieving their idea of “hair goals!” A lot of them even feel like there is nothing they can do to help their hair. And I know it’s not just my clients struggling with these problems either. I am SO passionate about my job and helping women feel confident and beautiful so I want to share with you all how to help achieve your “hair goals” and show you it IS possible to have good, healthy hair!
The thing I tell my clients that’s going to make the biggest difference is what you are putting in and on your hair. I wish I could just give everyone a magic fix all potion, but unfortunately it isn’t that simple. It’s not impossible though, just takes some effort! I can’t stress enough how important it is to use GOOD products, but knowing which products are good or not can be tricky. That’s why I have tested out several different hair care lines, taken different hair growth/health promoting supplements and vitamins, and gone to lots of professional hair classes to learn about how to help my clients with the problems they are having with their hair. I am constantly trying to find the best products for my clients, and I think I have found a product that is life changing!
A little over a year ago a fellow stylist friend of mine posted about a new product line her salon was carrying called “Monat.” She posted a side by side picture of her hair before using one of their products and then after she had been using it for a few weeks. In the before picture you could see all the breakage, damage, and bald spots along her hair line from coloring her hair, having a baby, and putting heat on her hair. In the after picture her bald spots were filled in, the broken off hairs had grown and were actually long, and it looked SO healthy. I was literally blown away and only believed it because I ACTUALLY knew this girl. I needed to try this stuff out! We messaged about it and I started looking into their product line. Not long after though I found out I was pregnant and had to stop doing hair pretty early into my pregnancy. It didn’t make sense to stock a new hair line if I wasn’t doing hair so I put it on hold. It was always on the back of my mind though anytime someone asked me about a problem they had with their hair, or when I had problems with my own hair. I have just been so busy since having Reed that looking into the product has been on the bottom of my to do list.
A few weeks ago though, some of my stylist friends at Blondies and Co. told me they were starting to carry it in their salon. I knew I had to get my hands on the product this time and try it out. My poor hair has been pretty neglected this past year and then add in the hormones that mess with your hair during and after pregnancy, well lets just say it’s seen better days! So I was really hoping this stuff would help my hair! After using it I was NOT disappointed. It might be because I am a hairstylist, but I immediately noticed a difference just rinsing it out of my hair! My hair (and even extensions) felt so smooth, hydrated, and clean after I brushed it out and blow dried it. Another thing I noticed was that while my hair usually gets pretty oily throughout the day, it still looked freshly washed two days later. I was able to go much longer between washes with it looking good. I’ve been using it for about 3 weeks now and here is what I have noticed so far; my hair doesn’t feel dry anymore, the ends don’t look fried, my hair is much shinier, it is less frizzy, it feels smoother, it’s less snarly, and doesn’t tangle as easily, I can go much longer between washes, it doesn’t feel weighed down or heavy with product, and it’s looking so much healthier. I am so impressed with this stuff and knew I had to start carrying it and share it with all my clients!!
Because I love to educate my clients on the products I suggest to them I wanted to share some of the science behind Monat and why it works so well. One of the main reasons is their Rejuveniqe Oil. Monat explains it as, “a blend of 11+ unique molecular ingredients –including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, beta-carotene and omega-3 fatty acids – that mimic the body’s natural oils! The proprietary formula reduces hair thinning, prevents oxidative stress and adds incredible volume, repairing the hair with instantly visible, long-lasting shine without the damaging effects of silicone.” They infuse this in all their products and that’s why they work so well. To save this post from being super long, click here to read more of the science behind Monat as well as actual studies on why and how it really does work! I love that about this! Their claims are backed up by real science and you can actually SEE results. Monat has lots of different products for all hair types which is another reason I find it so awesome. My clients with thin hair want something to help thicken their hair, but my clients with coarse thick hair don’t need help in that area so one product for both wouldn’t work. It’s not just a “one size fits all” type of thing because lets be real that doesn’t really work when it comes to hair products! Monat has a hair quiz (click here) that will suggest products for you based on the problems you are having and the results you are looking for. I would love to chat more with you about what products you might need as well so feel free to send me an email by clicking here! I will also continue to update you all on how the product is helping me and my personal results! So follow along on my Instagram (click here) for more updates!
Using Monat is going to make a huge difference in your hair, but like I said it’s not a magic potion. If you aren’t doing all you can to care for your hair then it won’t be able to work properly. Here are some things you need to be doing (and not be doing) to help your hair be the healthiest and best it can be!
- Don’t use excessive heat.
- Blow drying your hair and using a flat iron or curling iron everyday is going to dry out your hair and cause damage. Try styling your hair in fun braids or wearing a hat to avoid using hot tools everyday. Click here for a tutorial I did on a dutch crown braid that doesn’t require any heat!
- Don’t wash your hair everyday.
- When you get your hair wet and wash it you are stripping it of its natural oils. So when you wash your hair everyday this causes your body to tell your scalp to overproduce the oils and in turn causing us to have greasy, oily hair and needing to wash it more often. It’s just a long vicious cycle. One of the things I’ve really loved about the Monat products is I haven’t had to wash my hair as often as I used to because it isn’t as greasy or oily anymore. Remember their Rejuveniqe oil I talked about earlier? Well if you remember it mimics the hairs natural oils and is infused in all their products. So when you shampoo and condition your hair with Monat’s products it’s telling your scalp it doesn’t need to overproduce it’s oils anymore. How COOL is that?? Another reason not to wash your hair very often is it dries your hair out (because the oils don’t have time to reach all of your hair before we wash it again) So try going 2-3 days without washing your hair. Using Monat’s products will help a ton. I always wear fun hats on days my hair just feels not so presentable. That way I can go another day without washing it and keep it healthier.
- Wear your hair in a loose braid at night.
- Have you ever noticed that you have breakage when you wake up in the morning? Well thats from moving your head around your pillow all night. It’s crazy, but the friction from rubbing your head on your pillow can cause breakage. I always loosely braid my hair at night and use a scrunchy or no crease hair tie and it makes a big difference. You can also get a silk pillow case to help eliminate breakage or wear a silk hair wrap at night.
- Brush your hair every night and morning.
- Anyone else ever kept a messy bun in for four days because you were too afraid of the mess you’d have to brush out?? I’m so guilty of this especially in the summer, but let me tell you it’s killing your hair!! Brushing out those tangles and beginnings of dread locks rips out so much of your hair and breaks it really bad. To avoid this I always put a little leave in conditioner in my hair before bed after brushing it out. This helps it so much in the morning. I am loving Monat’s leave in conditioner because it’s so light weight and is actually meant to go on dry hair as well so it doesn’t make my hair greasy.
- Avoid tight hair styles for too long or everyday.
- Coming back to the messy bun situation it’s not good for your hair to sit in a tight bun or have a tight elastic around it every single day. If you are an athlete or do any sort of activity that requires a pony tail, bun, or having your hair up in some way daily you will notice your breakage is probable through the middle of your hair. That’s because that part of your hair is right where the elastics sits and it is breaking your hair. My sister played soccer and had this exact problem. She had to keep her hair up almost everyday though so if you can’t switch up your styles use the no crease hair ties or scrunchies. They are so much better on your hair and will help minimize the breakage.
- Be aware of medications that might cause changes to your hair.
- Medications can have a huge effect on your hair. This is something you will need to discuss with your doctor if you feel your medication is causing you to lose your hair or it to become thinner. If your medication is causing hair loss or thinning, using Monat’s rejuveniqe oil will help, but only to an extent. Especially if you are unable to change medications. It doesn’t mean all hope is lost for you, just that you will have to be even more careful with your hair.
- Take a vitamin/supplement and be aware of your diet.
- There are a lot of vitamins you could be lacking that is causing your hair not to grow or be healthy. So taking a pre-natal vitamin (even if you aren’t pregnant) or biotin helps a lot. Monat has a supplement that includes biotin and tons of other amazing vitamins and minerals AND it’s all natural. No drugs which is really nice. I am trying it out right now so I will let you all know how it goes! As far as diet goes, what you are eating will affect your hair. You don’t need to eat a salad every single meal, but just be conscious about your sugar and fat intake and do your own experiments on how different foods affect your hair. Drinking more water will help a lot too. You should ALWAYS consult your doctor first before making any changes to your diet or taking a new vitamin or supplement.
- Don’t over chemically treat your hair.
- What I mean by this is don’t color your hair or get other chemical treatments (like perms, relaxers, Brazilian blowouts, etc) done too often. You can still get them done and have healthy hair just don’t be coloring your hair every day. If you are going to a licensed and reputable hairstylist you should never have to worry about them over processing your hair. Using chemicals on your hair isn’t going to be amazing for it, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have beautiful, healthy hair and get it colored. You just need to care for your hair properly by using Monat products and following these do’s and don’ts.
I hope this helps some of you achieve your “hair goals” and gives you a better insight into healthy hair!! If any of you have more hair questions or want to know more about Monat please feel free to email me! (click here) You can also check out more of Monat’s products here. If you are local to Utah as well I would love to meet up for a free consultation and see if I can help with any hair problems you are having!
Thanks for reading Beauties!